They say if you want to catch the attention of the man you’re eyeing, don’t bother brushing your hair or fluttering your eyelashes. Just show off your pout. Most men like to gaze at gorgeous rosy lips, devoid of any makeup. But, how can you show off yours with confidence if it’s full of dark spots? Fortunately, there are ways to get rid of those awkward spots.
Exfoliate with Lip Scrub
Nothing destroys your captivating smile like dark spots on the lips. To solve this problem, exfoliate your lips with a lip scrub. Lip scrubs will soften and whiten your lips so that you can once again wear that healthy pout. In this article, we’ve rounded up the best products to use in hopes of helping you make a smart purchase.
Milani Keep It Sweet Sugar Lip Scrub
- SUGAR LIP BALM PREP: Sweet sugar granules gently exfoliate dead skin cells to reveal baby soft lips
- CUSTOM OIL BLEND: Infused with Rosehip Oil, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil and Sweet Almond Oil Leaves lips smooth, nourished and primed!
- TIPS & TRICKS: Gently use the tips of the fingers to apply product onto lips, massaging in circular motion for 30 seconds to remove chapped and dry patches to reveal a noticeably smoother texture. Remove product with tissue. Use 2-3 times per week to maintain smooth lips.
While the name suggests sweetness, this scrub will exfoliate and condition even the roughest dry and dark lips. To scrub away the flakiness, this sugar lip scrub uses natural sugar granules. It also has an ideal texture for a lip scrub, thanks to its excellent hydrating oils like coconut, olive, and almond oil. The sugar is perfectly refined, too. You’ll surely love this lip scrub especially because it’s non overly greasy.
You can’t deny the fact that exfoliating your lips is necessary- especially if you want to get rid of the dark spots on your lips. However, you might be torn between buying a lip scrub or formulating a DIY lip scrub at home. It seems to all come down to your spare time and budget. Sure, it’s not very convenient whipping up your own lip scrub every time your dark spots are driving your crazy neither shelling out hundreds of dollars for a fancy little glass of common ingredients. But, with Milani Keep It Sweet Sugar Lip Scrub that sells at a few bucks, there’s no reason why you can make an exception. The lip scrub has a myriad of benefits: it can be purchased from the drugstore, it can last you 6 months, and most importantly, it works. It’s just the right amount of formula to scrape off all of the dark spots.
Dr. PAWPAW Scrub & Nourish Duo Pot
- 2-IN-1 PRODUCT: This petite pot combines a lip scrub and the original Dr. PAWPAW balm. These two simple components make a killer combo in vanquishing chapped lips forever! Cleverly packed in stacking pots: the lip scrub is in the top pot and the award-winning original balm is in the bottom pot.
- SUGAR-SMOOTHING SCRUB: The lip exfoliator provided a gentle relief to chapped lips. Its grains of sugar gently buff away dry, dead skin cells, leaving your lips smooth and soft. Its delicious fragrance of Mango, Orange and Coconut will definitely tempt you to lick it off!
- NOURISHING LIP BALM: Our fragrant free balm is perfect to keep your lips smooth all day long. The original balm features a trio hero ingredients: Pawpaw, Olive Oil and Aloe Vera that will prevent your lips from getting parched, cracked, or chapped. Multi-uses, the balm can also be applied to dry elbows, cuticles, heels, and knees.
Dr. PAWPAW doesn’t disappoint with its exfoliating and moisturizing combo. Yes, you’ve read it right! This product is both a lip balm and a sugar scrub. It removes dead skin cells and relieves chapping in your lips. Meanwhile, it is designed fragrance-free so that it exfoliates and moisturizes even the most fragrance-sensitive users.
The Dr. PAWPAW Scrub & Nourish Duo Pot’s main ingredients are aloe vera, olive oil, sugar, and Carica papaya. When you have dark spots on your lips, you’re also likely to experience persistent chapped lips problems. But the ingredients of this lip scrub have curative properties, especially aloe vera. It has anti-inflammatory properties that make it perfect for treating dark spots on your lips as well as cracked lips. How aloe vera works is that it speeds up the healing process and stimulates new cells’ growth, leaving your lips soft and juicy. Besides, aloe vera is rich in antioxidants which help boost your lips’ blood circulation and make your lips rosier.
Once Upon a Tea Exfoliating Green Tea Matcha Sugar Lip Scrub
- SAY GOOD BYE TO FLAKY LIPS: Simply Amazing results after just one extra minute of your beauty time! Matcha Exfoliating Lip Scrub will deliver plump, soft and juicy lips!
- WE TOOK SUGAR LIP SCRUB TO THE NEXT LEVEL: by perfectly sizing and texturing sugar granules for most effective and gentle exfoliation. The shea butter and jojoba oil will deeply nourish and moisturize your freshly exfoliated lips.
- NO OVERWHELMING ODOR OR TASTE: Matcha Exfoliating Lip Scrub has a very faint, mild green tea fragrance that doesn't overpower. This not sticky formula is an amazing all day and all night treatment, that will get very addicting for your lips.
If you’re looking for a non-greasy and light lip scrub, look no further than the Once Upon a Tea Exfoliating Green Tea Matcha Sugar Lip Scrub. Perhaps it is the best non-greasy hydrating lip scrub in this list. Aside from being non-greasy, the lip scrub is formulated with gentle exfoliation in mind as the sugar granules come in a perfect size. If you’re extra fed up with the dark spots in your lips, the Once Upon a Tea Exfoliating Green tea Matcha Sugar Lip Scrub is the best peeling solution.
The lip scrub contains shea butter that forms a barrier on your lips and locks in moisture for the hydration part. When it comes to daily lip care. Shea butter is an excellent ingredient for maintaining optimal lip health. Moreover, the product is vegan and cruelty-free. This combined with shea butter ensures that the Once Upon a Tea Exfoliating Green Tea Matcha Sugar Lip Scrub isn’t the only kind to your lips but to the environment as well.
Henné Organics Lip Exfoliator
- FROM DRY TO SMOOTH, MOISTURIZED LIPS: Are your lips in need of repair? Add a soothing, pampering treatment to your lip care routine and your lips will go from chapped and flaky to healthy looking in no time!
- NATURAL & ORGANIC LIP EXFOLIATORS: Our lip scrubs are comprised of a rich blend of the highest quality natural ingredients. Sugar, coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, jojoba oil will gently exfoliate and restore your lips while vanilla, lingonberry and rose make the experience a treat for all your senses.
- ETHICALLY MADE IN THE USA: We're proud to say that all our products are lovingly handcrafted in-house at our HQ in Wilmington, North Carolina by our wonderful and close-knit Henné team.
Henné is a USA-made brand founded by Laura Xiao that intertwines minimalism and luxury. It directly translates to ‘her’ in Swedish, which means that it is dedicated to providing modern women with clean beauty. Their formulations are stacked with quality ingredients just like the Organics Lip Exfoliator.
The product is truly a winner for various reasons. Firstly, it is packed in a little black container that looks so elegant and sleek. Aside from the appearance, the contents are perfectly preserved and protected.
With its calming fragrance, the lip exfoliator reminds you of home. The mix of jojoba oil and coconut oil provides an excellent level of scrumptiousness. Additional ingredients are shea butter, vitamin E, organic beeswax, peppermint oil, and organic sugar cane crystals. The sugar in the lip exfoliator dissolves as you rub it in, so you only need to use a small amount. One thing to note, the Henné Organics Lip Exfoliator is not strictly for women, it can pamper men with dark lips as well.
How to Get Rid of Dark Spots on Lips
Lemon is usually used to whiten dark spots on the skin. But, did you know that it can also be used to remove dark spots on the lips? It has natural bleaching and exfoliating properties that can eliminate the dark spots.
You may not realize it, but the dark spots on your lips can be caused by injury to the lips due to sucking, biting, and knocking the lips on a hard surface. But since lemon is an excellent antiseptic agent, it can heal the dark spots even if they are caused by an infected injury that has been sustained to the lips.
For best results, mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Then, massage the thin paste into your lips for 10 minutes. Lemon juice is naturally acidic; hence, do not forget to rinse it off.
Ditch Old Lipstick Products
Old lip products like lipstick and lip balms can also damage your lips. If you apply lip products past their expiry date, you’re making yourself vulnerable to infections that can cause dark spots. Even when the product holds so much sentiment, there’s no need to hold on it. After all, your makeup should be as fresh and safe as the food you eat.
Excessive smoking can darken your lips, which in turn develop into dark spots. These dark spots caused by smoking are called smoker’s melanosis. Since the heat from cigarettes directly burns your lips, it’s better to cease smoking cigarettes for good.
Get Laser Treatment
Some women develop dark spots on their lips when they are pregnant or taking birth control pills. However, this is nothing to worry about, as the condition will subside after giving birth and stop using birth control pills. But, for women with severe hormonal imbalance, their chances of developing dark spots on the lips are very high. These dark spots may keep coming back or won’t go away.
In this case, permanent removal of dark spots is recommended, and the treatment may involve lasers. This is done professionally by a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist to eliminate dark spots and restore the lips’ natural color.