If you have breakouts in your forehead that don’t seem to go away after trying several acne treatments, you could be treating the wrong condition. The tricky part is that you could have fungal acne which looks nearly identical to bacterial or hormonal acne. The reason why fungal acne needs a different treatment is that its culprit isn’t the same as the typical acne. Instead, it is caused by a specific type of yeast that hangs around in the hair follicles.
How to get rid of fungal acne on your forehead naturally
Stop treating it like you would treat typical acne and follow the tips below.
1. Exfoliate excess oil and dirt.
Use a chemical exfoliant to keep the pores of your forehead clear of dead skin cells. If you’re not aware, pores trap oil and create a perfect breeding ground for yeasts. If possible, use a clay exfoliator because it absorbs excess oil better and sloughs away dead skin cells. Also, opt for gentle exfoliators with natural and safe ingredients. The facial exfoliator should be non-comedogenic, non-paraben, and hypoallergenic for maximum safety, such as the following:
St. Ives Green Tea Scrub
- NATURAL EXFOLIANTS: This delicious face wash is made with 100% natural exfoliants (walnut shell powder and bamboo powder) that are milled into a powder without jagged edges to provide a deep cleanse.
- MODERATE EXFOLIATION: Each dollop of this exfoliating face scrub delivers a moderate exfoliation factor to help clean pores.
- BYE-BYE BREAKOUTS: St. Ives Blackhead Clearing Face Scrub contains 1% salicylic acid, which helps clear skin of blackheads and acne.
This physical scrub is formulated with 100% natural exfoliants. What makes it a standout is that it is non-comedogenic, non-paraben, and hypoallergenic, which is what every oily skin needs. Because it offers gentle exfoliation, it is safe and suitable for any skin type.
Like other products from the brand, the green tea scrub comes in a tube-type packaging with a simple design. This design makes it easy to pack and store when travelling. There is transparency regarding what the product does, how it should be used, and what it’s made so that you know exactly what you’re getting.
The fruity fragrance and lime-colored formula somewhat remind one of squashed avocado mixed with milk and sugar. It’s definitely creamy and contains fine exfoliants that remove oil and dirt trapped on the pores. What’s more, the St. Ives Green Tea Scrub rinses off easily, and you won’t notice any soapy residue.
Needless to say, green tea offers a myriad of benefits- it slows down aging, prevents excessive oiliness, works as an anti-inflammatory ingredient, and works as a natural exfoliant.
Garnier Clean Blackhead Eliminating Scrub
- 2 Pieces - 5 Ounce (145ml)
- Contains Salicylic Acid,
- Clears Complexion,
The Garnier Clean Blackhead Eliminating Scrub is a beautiful charcoal-infused exfoliator. If you think charcoal is only for outdoor grills, you’re wrong. In fact, charcoal attracts oil and dirt like a magnet and removes them from your skin’s surface. This doesn’t only mean more radiant-looking complexion but also less noticeable congestion. Even when slathering your face with charcoal doesn’t scream clean, it’s precisely what the Garnier Clean Blackhead Eliminating Scrub is formulated to do.
It doesn’t only eliminate oil and dirt but also tightens the pores, deeply cleanses the skin, and smoothens the appearance of the skin’s texture. This is thanks to the acne-fighting properties of the ingredient salicylic acid in Garnier Clean Blackhead Eliminating Scrub. This ingredient dries out the excess sebum in your pores, thereby preventing yeast overgrowth.
Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Scrub
- 5-ounce tube of Aveeno positively radiant skin brightening and exfoliating daily face scrub cleanses and helps improve skin tone, texture, and clarity, for softer, brighter skin
- The unique formula of this brightening facial scrub contains moisture-rich soy extract and naturally derived granules designed to gently remove impurities from skin's surface
- Gentle enough for sensitive skin, the daily exfoliating cleanser is also formulated with jojoba and castor oils and gives you smoother, more even-toned skin
As mentioned above, exfoliation is essential in getting rid of dead skin cells off your skin’s surface. However, it should be done gently. Fortunately, the Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Scrub is a gentle exfoliator designed especially for people with oily skin.
The gentle scrub is so light that it doesn’t try out your skin and doesn’t feel too tight. It doesn’t bring an oily feeling as well because it’s oil-free. As for the brightening effect, the Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Scrub will make your face look bright so long as it’s clean. While it doesn’t remove all the fungal acne in your forehead overnight, it will remove the dead skin on the surface of your forehead, hence preventing yeast from growing.
For best results, make sure to let the small exfoliating beads do their job. Avoid pressing your skin as you exfoliate even when you feel the need to do so. This is to avoid causing your skin further damage.
Fresh Umbrian Clay Mattifying Face Exfoliant
This is a mineral clay-based exfoliant that removes oil and dirt for a shine-free complexion. If you’re looking for a unique formula that deeply exfoliates and cleanses your skin, this is it. It consists of potent ingredients such as lavender water, chamomile flower, olive leaf extract, lemon fruit, meadowsweet extract, olive exfoliants, bamboo, and Umbrian clay. The Umbrian clay specifically reduces larger skin pores without leaving your skin dry while the meadowsweet extract keeps excess sebum production at bay.
Since your oily skin tends to attract oil which supports yeast overgrowth, choose an excellent exfoliator like the Fresh Umbrian Clay Mattifying Face Exfoliant. You can use this gentle exfoliator at least two times a week for best results.
2. Use antifungal lotions/creams.
If your skin is sensitive enough for chemical exfoliants, your dermatologist will probably prescribe you antifungal lotions/creams. While various antifungal lotions/creams are readily available over the counter in any drugstore, it is still best to seek your doctor’s approval.
When treating your acne with these products, you must follow the following guidelines:
- Avoid using antifungal lotions/creams with ingredients that can serve as the breeding ground for yeast. As mentioned above, excess oil is your number one enemy, so make sure to stay away from products with oils and fatty acids, such as stearic acid, lauric acid, linoleic acid, etc.
- Another thing to avoid is antifungal lotions/creams that have fermented ingredients. During fermentation, yeast production most likely accelerates, so stay away from products that contain the said ingredients.
- Do not apply antifungal lotions/creams in your forehead too thickly. Note that these products are intended to be used sparingly since they’re also thick inconsistency. Otherwise, the antifungal/cream may not all be absorbed into your skin. When a layer of the product stays on your skin’s surface, it creates a buffet table for yeasts.
3. Avoid too much heat.
When you are exposed to extreme conditions, expect your skin to become more oily. And when there is an increased sebum production, yeast overgrowth follows. Since it’s not a realistic goal to avoid the sun altogether, you can work on other things like going sunbathing at least once a month instead of doing it weekly, or bringing an umbrella whenever you go out on a sunny day. If you tend to sweat excessively, use cold rollers. After prolonged sun and heat exposure, cold rollers will cool down your skin, thus, moderating sweat and humidity.
4. Go on a low sugar diet.
It’s general knowledge that yeast likes to thrive on sugar. For this reason, you may want to cut your sugar intake and simple carbohydrates that turn into sugar in your body. This way, you’re not providing the yeast anything to feed on, letting them die eventually.
In any carbohydrate diet, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables should not be missing. If you don’t like these foods, the diet change may feel like a sacrifice at first. But, even when it’s a little tricky on your part, understand that you’re doing it to get rid of the stubborn fungal acne, Plus, you’re also promoting health and healthier habits.
5. Maintain a healthy and balanced immune system.
The frontrunner for slowing down yeast overproduction and keeping fungal acne in your forehead at bay is to keep your immune system healthy and balanced. While your skin has its own microbiome, it still needs assistance from your immune system to fight imbalance-causing pathogens. In other words, keep your immune system in check so that your skin is always ready to fight the fungal acne in your forehead.