Popping your pimples is obviously a crime, but it’s something that you may get tempted to commit at some point. More often than not, you can’t just help yourself but pop your pimples one by one. Now, instead of pimples, you’ll have to deal with the painful sore. How you care for the redness on your face afterwards will determine whether you end up with pimple scars or cause more breakouts.
First things first: Learn the Popping Basics
Although pimple-popping is highly discouraged, there’s a proper way to go about it:
- Begin by washing your hands thoroughly so that no bacteria can cross-infect your pimples.
- Apply a hot compress to your skin to open the pores. The heat will help the pimple to open and release on its own.
- Insert a sterilized sewing needle into the target people. Do this gently and carefully so that you won’t draw blood or feel any pain.
- Drain your pimple with a gauze strip or cotton swabs.
After popping your pimples, it’s time to heal that redness, swelling, and soreness. Try these tips below:
Gently cleanse your face
You should know full well that cleansing is an essential part of any skincare routine. And if you’ve just recently popped your pimples, you need to avoid contaminating the area with bacteria by giving your face a good cleansing. You can use your regular facial cleanser; however, if you don’t know anything about face washes, you can start with any of these products:
Etude House Wonder Pore Deep Foaming Cleanser
- ENRICHED WITH MINT: Wonder Pore ultra-solution for overall concerns about pores. Recommended for itchy feeling on skin, sudden skin troubles, excessive sebum, enlarged pores
- 10-IN-1: Cleansing, sebum control, skin tone improvement, pore tightening, pore elasticity improvement, moisturizing, PH care, smooth skin, dead skin cell care, cooling effect
- THOROUGH DEEP CLEANSING: Mint bubble deep cleanses bodily wastes stuck in the pores. Mint beads effectively removes dead skin cell
If pores are stressing you out, this foaming cleanser may be what you’re looking for. Etude House manufactures several pore-specific products, and their foaming cleanser is a gem. It doesn’t only lessen the appearance of pores, but also control extra sebum. After several circular motions on the face, the Etude House Foaming Cleanser lathers up quite nicely and produces a gentle bubble.
This cleanser comes in a cute tube packaging for easy squeezing out. It’s very hygienic as well.
At first whiff, the Etude House Wonder Pore Deep Foaming Cleanser carries a strong smell, yet it doesn’t linger for a long time. Unlike cleaners that leave your skin dry and tight, this one maintains your skin’s natural hydration. More than anything, this cleanser is safe if you have acne-prone skin or you seek to treat breakouts and redness on the face from popping pimples.
Youth to the People Superfood Cleanser
- Antioxidant-packed, multifunction gel cleanser that's pH balanced, non-drying, and removes makeup with ease.
- Custom Superfoods Blend: Kale, spinach, green tea, alfalfa, vitamins C, E, K.
- Rich gel texture naturally lathers without sulfates and rinses quickly without stripping the skin. Gentle enough for all skin types and doubles as a makeup remover.
Dealing with acne-prone skin indeed feels frustrating, but starting your skincare regimen off with the superfood cleanser from Youth People can make a world of difference. It’s the perfect gel-based cleanser that offers anti-acne benefits and works well with all skin types. It’s gentle on the skin and deep cleansing at the same time.
The Youth to the People Superfood Cleanser may be a bit pricier than other facial cleansers, but a little goes a long way. According to some users, the bottle can last several months as a small pump can already create a nice foamy lather.
Additionally, the formula is completely natural and vegan, so there’s a guarantee that you’re not putting sulfates and drying alcohols on your face. The cleanser’s packaging doesn’t hurt either. It comes in recyclable, glass bottles, so it’s safe for the environment.
COSRX Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser
- Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser: Cleanse daily with this gentle and effective gel type cleanser day and night, removing impurities while strengthening your skin barrier.
- Cleanse for a Luminous Day and Silky Night: While refining the skin texture, the cleanser will help cleanse with no stripping. Great for all skin types, wake up to a firmer-looking skin while letting it rest clean during the night.
- Key Ingredients: pH balanced, tea-tree oil, and BHA to soothe and strengthen for luminous and clear skin.
This product from COSRX effectively removes the skin’s unwanted elements, leaving you with a thoroughly cleansed skin. Low pH cleansers are relatively uncommon; therefore, it’s so generous of COSRX to formulate one. Although the name suggests cleanser for the morning, it can double as a cleanser for the night.
This cleanser from COSRX is suitable for all skin types, and it’s safe to use even for acne-prone skin. As a cleanser, it does an excellent job of keeping your face dirt-free. Beauty enthusiasts love this cleanser simply because it doesn’t cause a dry and tight feel. While not all of them appreciate the rather strong fragrance of the cleanser’s tea tree oil, many still appreciate its antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. This cleanser also contains salicylic acid and star BHA which help control excess production of sebum and clogged pores.
After popping your pimples, it’s common to have dry skin if not pimple scabs. COSRX Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser is gentle on your skin and will not cause more irritation.
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- Cetaphil GENTLE SKIN CLEANSER: For daily use to gently clean, hydrate and soothe sensitive skin
- AMERICA's #1 BEST SELLING FACIAL CLEANSER: Gentle face wash for all skin types; ideal for sensitive, dry skin
- DEVELOPED FOR EVEN THE MOST SENSITIVE SKIN: This pH balanced, fragrance-free formula is hypoallergenic
Cetaphil is a well-known brand in the skincare world, and their gentle skin cleanser doesn’t disappoint. Many dermatologists and beauty influencers have raved about it’s benefits to skin health.
The cleanser boasts a mild, non-irritating formula, which makes it an excellent option for sensitive skin. When you pop your pimples, you’ll likely experience redness and pimple scabs. In these situations, it’s highly crucial to stop using potent and harsh face washes. Alternatively, use facial washes from highly reputed and trustworthy brands like Cetaphil. Their famous skin cleanser effectively removes dirt and impurities without making your skin dry. Also, it’s fragrance-free, pH balanced, and non-comedogenic.
If you’re extra keen on skin safety, the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser may be what you’re looking for. It’s super gentle that you can opt not to rinse it off if you like to.
Garnier SkinActive Clean + Shine Control Cleansing Gel
- Gel cleanser dissolves pore-clogging dirt, excess oil, and makeup
- Infused with charcoal to draw out impurities
- Skin is deeply clean and shine free in 1 use
A godsend for acne-prone skin, the Garnier SkinActive Clean + Shine Control Cleansing Gel works to instantly control and mop up extra shine and oil. If you have oily skin, a cleanser formulated with charcoal is your best option. This is because charcoal works like a magnet to unglue all the impurities from the surface of your skin. The cleansing gel is one that genuinely delivers without leaving a squeaky tight feeling. Thanks to a dose of menthol, your skin will feel rejuvenated and refreshed afterwards.
It comes in a transparent bottle which is filled with light grey liquid. The color looks attractive and resembles charcoal. The bottle is handy enough to be transported from one place to another. It also has a pump nozzle which makes it convenient enough to be carried around. For transparency, Garnier includes an excellent label that mentions all the cleansing gel’s details. A very little quantity is needed for every application, so the Garnier SkinActive Clean + Shine Control Cleansing Gel totally goes a long way.
The best way to soothe down the red, swollen bump on your face is to apply ice. Make sure to wrap the ice in a tissue or soft cloth first so that the sensation won’t be too intense. This will help reduce the swelling and make your face feel a whole lot better.
Put some antibiotic ointment.
Basically, your popped pimple is an open wound. That’s why it’s necessary to dab on an antibiotic ointment directly on the popped pimple. The antibiotic ointment will heal it faster and prevent the pimple scab from getting dry and crackly. However, only put some antibiotic on areas where it’s needed because it can potentially clog your pores.
Avoid touching the popped area while it heals.
Once you pop your pimples, you’ll soon notice a dark, rough patch on your face which is most likely a pimple scab. You must be gentle with cleansing your face so as not to knock the pimple scab that’s trying to form. It would generally help if you allowed the scab to heal, hence, no more messing with your popped pimples.
Final thoughts: Don’t pop your pimples again!
While these tips on how to get rid of redness on the face from popping pimples may help make the redness disappear into smooth and flawless skin, it’s still best if you leave your pimples alone. After all, popping your pimples only increases the risks of getting permanent pimple scars. There’s no good part of pimple-popping- because really, rare is the chance of not popping a pimple that’s not ready to be opened yet.